Who We Are
A message from our CEO, Stephanie Schedler
Welcome to Glendale Healthcare, an organization of Hospice agencies with our corporate office located in Mandeville, Louisiana. I am proud to tell you that I have been in end of life care since 1990 and this year marks my 20th anniversary of caring for the terminally ill. As a proud member of the Louisiana/Mississippi Hospice & Palliative Care Organization for the last nineteen (19) years, I have had the pleasure of being a seated Board Member for many of those years. I will be the incoming President of this organization in the year 2010.
I first became interested in hospice while working with volunteers that were trained to help people in the last phase of an incurable illness as well as the family with day to day care needs. Often when a loved one has a serious illness, it will affect the entire family. Helping that family accept and cope with end of life issues, makes positive changes to the home environment which allows everyone to become more comfortable when caring for their loved one in the home setting.
In late 1991 I became the administrator of a non-profit hospital based hospice agency which changed the course of my life. Hospice care for people with life threatening illnesses makes a huge difference in the final months of a patient’s life by allowing that person to:
• make informed care decisions,
• live their remaining time as they wanted,
• receive more appropriate care related to their disease and prognosis,
• have a better quality of life,
• help their families accept the inevitable by communicating their wishes to their beloved.
2002 brought a year of change as the hospice agency was sold to a large regional home health group primarily in the southern states. I then became a Corporate Director of Hospice over all the hospice agencies.
One year later, I purchased three (3) hospice agencies within Louisiana and Mississippi. And as they say, “the rest is history”!
As I mentioned previously, we now have three (3) agencies and all have top ranking of 100% compliance with Medicare regulations, which means no deficiencies in our care. Not all hospice agencies have this ranking.
I believe our organization would be considered a “Mom and Pop” type business. We are not a national conglomerate! What we do offer is excellent quality of care to our patient’s and to our family members as they move through the final months of their loved ones life. Our staff has extensive training in end of life care.
Pain Management and Symptom Control are our focus when a person has a life threatening disease. No one wants to be in pain and we can manage almost any type of symptom in the home setting!
Our Medical Directors along with our nursing staff care for the person in their home, or a home setting like an Assisted Living Facility, Nursing Home, Personal Care Home or Long Term Acute Care facility.
Thank you for viewing this webpage and if I can be of help to you please call (985) 626-3281
Our Mission Statement
At Glendale Healthcare our mission is to provide symptom control and support for persons in the last phases of an incurable disease so they may live as fully and as comfortably as possible.
Through appropriate care and the support of a caring community sensitive to their needs, the terminally ill patients and their families we care for will be free to attain a degree of mental and spiritual preparation for death that is satisfactory to them.
We will take a holistic approach to caring for your loved one which includes attention to immediate family member’s psychosocial needs and beliefs.
We will offer palliative care to all terminally ill patients and support to those patients and their families without regard for diagnosis, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, race, creed, disability, age, or place of residence.
- Points of Service
- We contact all patients and families within one hour after receiving a consult or referral.
- Admission to hospice will be completed within two (2) hours, unless otherwise requested.
- Communication with our patients, families and professionals will be our priority.
- Our staff is trained to listen to the needs of those we serve and respond promptly.
- Staff personnel will identify themselves when answering the telephone in a courteous and professional manner.
- Our Medical Director will consult with the patient’s Attending Physician on pain and symptom management.
- The patient’s Attending Physician is encouraged to continue to follow their patient’s care.
- We will always support the goals of the patient and family related to quality of life.
- Support for grief and bereavement will be offered according to individual needs.
- Our nurses will support the patient and family at the time of death.